23.11.07

cloak and dagger

I confess to being the worst blogger ever. Sorry. Had a really lovely time in Nowa Nowa, and i'm going back for the Long Now weekend, and the launch of Open For Inspection. Come along if you are in the vicinity. I am excited to see the house, my work was the first to be installed so i can't wait to see what everyone else has been up to.
Here are some photos of what we did in the community room.



.



.



.



Some more photos of my time in Nowa Nowa here.



Photos of the final work will have to wait till after the launch, as it's all top secret till then! Special curtains were made to keep it all under wraps.
Speaking of top secretiveness, i've had some clandestine meetings with these sculptures in Sydney and Canberra.



desolation row @ silvershot



Well not quite 'cloak and dagger' but it felt a bit that way. One of these encounters was for the Ergas Collection media launch, which was in an amazing old building in Sydney. The sculptures looked as though they just sort of grew out of the floor. It was lovely to see them in that environment. Unfortunately i did not take the good camera so have no decent photos. Photo above is an old one, taken at Silvershot in Melbourne last year.
I hurt my back when putting them back together, which did seem sort of appropriate given their contorted appearance. I was hunched over for a while there too.

16 comments:

lauren said...

brilliant news lovely! it's a pity that you didn't take the camera for the Ergas thing - would loved to have seen those creatures growing out of the floor.

more posts like this please! i love good news!

fiona long said...

Sorry to hear about your back and congratulations on the show! It sounds totally intriuging and I hope you'll be able to publish some photos of it at some point!

Jade said...

aww ta Lauren! I did get a couple of photos but they were with my crappy cam that lives in a soapbox. Better than nothing, but they don't show much. Maybe i will post them sometime anyways.

Wish i had been able to come to Interesting. It would have been really ummm... interesting. Never mind, will come see you in melbourne.

Thanks Fiona, my back is much better than it was, though all the driving to and from nowa nowa was not too good for it. Photos from nowa nowa coming soon! .

Cally said...

always hard to drive with a bad back, I hope it's easing. I saw your nowa nowa pics on your flickr pages, paper heaven! And the photo's from the caves, amazing, when I first saw them I thought you had made it, it look exactly like an installation you could have made by giant crumpling - now there's a thought...

giuseppe said...

hello there :D Really glad to have stumbled upon this blog. I quite like your paper 'monsters.' They have a nice all-over texture. The paper is clear to see in some parts, but others seem like branches and roots. My favourite picture in this post is the second one. There is a blurred area at the bottom left, which looks like a strange material--it's kind of knobbly and bumpy and interesting.

Dot said...

just found your blog... love your work!

cynthia korzekwa said...

please start blogging again...would like to see your new work!

Minka said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Minka said...

I really like your work. It makes me want to get back to working with paper...and to loosen up a bit. I hope you keep posting.

ainesse said...

Hello Me-Jade, I just wanted to let you know that I am finally sending you notice that "You've been tagged" !!

Please check out this url on my blog page
http://ainescannell.blogspot.com/2007/12/youve-been-tagged.html

yasu said...

hi! just discovered your blog. You make such interesting sculptures.

Debbie Schramer said...

your art is the most amazing I've ever seen!!! just fascinating and so unusual! I love it! you might like the art I do, too....made from nature. my sites are:

www.artmajeur.com/debbieschramer
http://beautiful-art.blogspot.com
natureartists on youtube

ArtPropelled said...

Wonderful exciting images on this post!

Marie-Hélène S said...

Ton travail est superbe. Felicitations!!!

Anonymous said...

NICE;P

Lari Washburn said...

Your work is amazing, and your blog is fab too! So glad to have found you...I will do a little post on you on my blog soon...